Dr. Akther is a multidisciplinary educator and researcher with learning, teaching, and research experience from Russia, Malaysia, the UK, and Bangladesh. Currently working as an Assistant Professor (Banking & Finance) and Program Coordinator of School of Business and teaching Business, Economics and Finance in BBA and MBA program. He started his career as a Senior Officer (Credit Appraisal) at the DBH Ltd, a leading housing finance company in Bangladesh. Prior to joining the UCTC, he has taught at the faculty of Distance Education of Moscow State University of Psychology and Education (MSUPE) and American Club of Education Moscow (ACE). He has already published 32 scholarly articles in ISI, Scopus, refereed international journals, edited books, and conference proceedings, including in high indexed journals like Economic Modelling, Managerial Finance, Studies in Economics and Finance, Australian Economic Papers, International Journal of Law and Management, and Psychological Science and Education. He has participated in conferences, workshops, certificate courses, and seminars in Russia, England, Malaysia, Lithuania, Maldives, and Indonesia. His current research interests include emerging capital markets, Islamic finance and banking, Islamic monetary economics, institutions in developing countries, educational economics, and Cryptocurrency.
. PhD (Educational Psychology), Moscow State University of Psychology and Education (MSUPE), Moscow, Russia
. MSc (Islamic Finance), INCEIF The Global University of Islamic Finance, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
. Principles of Accounting
. Principles of Finance
. Managerial Accounting
. Managerial Finance
. International Financial Management
. Islamic Economics and Finance
. Educational Economics
• PhD Sponsorship by the Dean of Faculty of Distance Education, 2009-2013
• INCEIF Graduate Full Tuition Waiver Scholarship 2014-2016
A. Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
1. Uddin, M.A. & Uddin S.M.S. (2021). Microfinance and Debt Trap: An Ethnographic Evidence From a Village in Bangladesh, International Journal of Asian Business and Information Management, 12(3), pp. 1-11. (Scopus and IGI Global) DOI: 10.4018/IJABIM.20210701.oa24
2. Uddin, M. A., Nur Azizi, S. M., & Ali, M. H. (2021). Can Waqf Play A Role In Achieving Sustainable Development Goals For Bangladesh?. Journal of Islamic Banking & Finance, 38(1), pp. 28-39. (peer-reviewed international journal)
3. Ali, M. H., Uddin, M. A., Khan, M. A. R., & Goud, B. (2020). Faith‐based versus value‐based finance: Is there any portfolio diversification benefit between responsible and Islamic finance?. International Journal of Finance & Economics (forthcoming). (ISI and Wiley) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/ijfe.2081
4. Uddin, M. A., Ali, M. H., & Masih, M. (2020). Bitcoin- a hype or digital gold? Global evidence. Australian Economic Papers, 59(3), pp. 1-17. (ISI and Wiley) DOI: 10.1111/1467-8454.12178
5. Uddin, M.A., Hoque, M.E., & Ali, M. H. (2020). International Economic Policy Uncertainty and Stock Market Returns of Bangladesh: Evidence from Linear and Nonlinear Model. Quantitative Finance and Economics, 4(2), pp. 236-251. (ESCI & Aims Press) DOI: 10.3934/QFE.2020011
6. Uddin, M. A. & Ahmad, A. U. F (2020). Conventional Futures: Derivatives in Islamic Law of Contract. International Journal of Law and Management, 62 (4), pp. 315-337. (SCOPUS, ESCI, ABDC) DOI: 10.1108/IJLMA-10-2017-0242
7. Uddin, M. A., Ali, M. H., & Masih, M. (2020). Institutions, human capital, and economic growth in developing countries. Studies in Economics and Finance. 38 (2), pp. 361-383. (SCOPUS, ESCI, ABDC) DOI: 10.1108/SEF-10-2019-0407
8. Ali, M. H., Uddin, M. A., Chowdhury, M. A. F., & Masih, M. (2019). Cross-country evidence of Islamic portfolio diversification: are there opportunities in Saudi Arabia?. Managerial Finance, 45(1), pp. 36-53. (SCOPUS, ESCI, ABDC) https://doi.org/10.1108/MF-03-2018-0126
9. Uddin, M. A., Ali, M. H., & Radwan, M. (2019). Can GDP Growth Link Instrument Be Used For Islamic Monetary Policy?. European Journal of Islamic Finance, (13). (EBSCO, ERIH PLUS and DOAJ) http://dx.doi.org/10.13135/2421-2172/3543
10. Uddin, M. A., Ali, M. H., & Masih, M. (2017). Political stability and growth: An application of dynamic GMM and quantile regression. Economic Modelling, 64, pp. 610-625. (Indexed in ISI and Elsevier) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econmod.2017.04.028
11. Uddin, M.A. (2018). Are Shari’ah Governance and Risk Management Important? A case of Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd, Journal of Islamic Banking and Finance (ISSN 1814-8042), Vol.35 (2). pp. 68-83. (peer-reviewed international journal)
12. Ullah, N. & Uddin, M.A. (2018). Does Indian Economic Growth Affect Bangladesh? An Application of ARDL, Journal of South Asian Studies, ISSN 2308-7846, 6(2), pp. 69-84.( peer-reviewed international journal)
13. Uddin, M.A. (2018). Can Shari'ah Governance Framework be the Way Forward for Islamic Finance?, Journal of Islamic Banking and Finance, (ISSN 1814-8042), 35(3), pp. 55-63.(peer-reviewed international journal)
14. Uddin, M.A. (2014). Personal and Motivational Aspects of Students Studying in Traditional Face-to-Face System and Distance Education System, Психология и Психотехника (Psychology and Psycho-technique), eISSN: 2454-0722, Vol. 2, pp. 192-200, 2014, Single author (Indexed in ERIH PLUS, Ulrich, VAK and RISC) DOI: 10.7256/2070-8955.2014.2.10932
15. Uddin, M.A. (2013). Individual differences of students in distance education (A review of foreign literature) [English Translation of the title], Journal of Modern Foreign Psychology, Russia, ISSN (online) 2304-4977, Vol. 3, pp. 104-121. (Indexed in RISC, VAK and DOAJ)
16. Uddin, M.A. (2013). Psychological Impact of Distance Education Technologies in Student's Personal Development, International Journal of Developmental and Educational Psychology, Spain, ISSN (Online) 2603-5987 ISSN (Print) 0214-9877 No.1, Vol. 2, pp. 203–212. (Indexed in Psicodoc, Ulrich, Redalyc, Miar, ISOC, Dialnet, DICE and Sherpa-Romeo)
17. Aysmontas, B.B., Uddin M.A. (2013). Comparative analysis of personality characteristics of full-time and distance learning students (on the example of psychology students) [English Translation of the title]”, Psikhologicheskaya nauka i obrazovanie psyedu.ru [Psychological Science and Education psyedu.ru], Russia, ISSN: 2074-5885 (online) Vol. 3 (In Russ., аbstr. in Engl.) (Indexed in ERIH PLUS, EVSCO, VAK, DOAJ and RISC) http://psyjournals.ru/psyedu_ru/2013/n4/65841.shtml
18. Uddin M.A. (2012). Psychological and pedagogical features of distance education and personality of distance education students [English Translation of the title]”, Психологическая наука и образование (Psychological Science and Education), Russia, ISSN: 1814-2052 / 2311-7273 (online), Vol. 5, pp. 38-49. (SCOPUS & ESCI)
B. Peer-Reviewed Book's Chapter:
1) Uddin, M.A., Ahmad, A.U.F., El Morabit, F., (2020). Is Interest Rate as a Monetary Policy Instrument Appropriate for OIC Countries? In: Corporate Governance, Banking Industry and Monetary Policy – An Islamic Perspective (pp 113-126). , Emerald. https://doi.org/10.1108/978-1-80043-786-920211007
2) Uddin, M.A., Saiti, B., Masih, M., (2020). Are Finance and Human Development Important for Economic Growth? International Evidence from Dynamic GMM Approach. In: Handbook of Analytical Studies in Islamic Finance and Economics (pp. 609-646). DeGruyter. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110587920-026
3) Uddin M.A. (2019). Islamic Monetary Economics: Insights from the Literature. In: Zulkhibri M., Abdul Manap T., Muneeza A. (eds) Islamic Monetary Economics and Institutions. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-24005-9_3
4) Aysmontas, B., & Uddin, M. A. (2016). The Modern Problem of Psychological and Pedagogical Foundations of Russian E-Learning Systems: The Possible Solutions and the Future Challenges of Psychology and Pedagogy. In Special and Gifted Education: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications (pp. 2100-2118). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. https://doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-0034-6.ch091
5) Mkrttchian, V., Aysmontas, B., Uddin, M. A., Andreev, A., & Vorovchenko, N. (2015). The Academic Views from Moscow Universities on the Future of DEE at Russia and Ukraine. In G. Eby, & T. Yuzer (Eds.) Identification, Evaluation, and Perceptions of Distance Education Experts (pp. 32-45). Hershey, PA: Information Science Reference. https://doi:10.4018/978-1-4666-8119-4.ch003
C. Monograph (in Russian with English Abstract):
Айсмонтас Б.Б., Уддин М.А. Личностные и мотивационные особенности студентов очного и дистанционного обучения (сравнительный анализ)/ Московский городской психолого-педагогический университет, М., 2014. 222 с.
[Translation: Aysmontas, B.B., Uddin M.A. Personal and motivational aspects of student studying face to face and distance (comparative analysis)/Moscow State University of Psychology and Education, Moscow, 2014. (Total page 222)]
D. Peer-Reviewed Conference papers:
1. Uddin, M.A., Azizi, B.N., Ali, M.H. Can Waqf play a role in achieving Sustainable Development Goals for Bangladesh? 4th UIU-International Conference on Sustainable Development(ICSD) 2020, held on February 18-19, at UIU, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
2. Uddin, M.A., Ali, M.H., Hossain, M.S., Masih M., Bitcoin and Portfolio Diversification: Islamic vs Conventional Equity, 10th International Conference on Financial Criminology (ICFC 2019) held on December 7-8, 2019, at UIU Campus, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
3. Uddin, M.A., Haque, M. E., & Ali, M.H., Does global economic policy uncertainty impact stock market return of Bangladesh? 13th International Conference on Business Innovation for Inclusive Development (ICBIID 2019) held on October 26-27, 2019, Chittagong, Bangladesh.
4. Uddin, M.A., Ali, M.H., & Masih, M. The Moderating Effect of Institutions on Human Capital and Economic Growth Nexus: Global Evidence, 13th BMEB International Conference and Call for Papers "Maintaining Stability, Strengthening Momentum of Growth Amidst High Uncertainty in The Digital Era" held on August 29-30, 2019, Bali, Indonesia (Fully funded by the Bank Indonesia Institute)
5. Nor, F.M., Ullah, N., Seman, J.A. & Uddin, M.A. Do Merger and Acquisition (M&A) Affect Acquirer Bank’s Performance? A Comparative Analysis of Pre and Post Performance”, Islamic Banking, Accounting And Finance Conference – (8th iBAF) 2018, held on 25th – 26th October, 2018, Langkawi, Malaysia
6. Uddin, M.A., Ali, M.H., & Masih, M. The role of institutions in human development-growth nexus: Evidence from 120 (OIC and non-OIC) developing countries based on dynamic system GMM and quantile regression approaches, “20th Malaysian Finance Association Conference” to be held on August, 2018, Langkawi, Malaysia.
7. Uddin, M.A. & Uddin, S.M.S. Microfinance and poverty nexus: leverage spillover. “1st International Conference on Finance for Sustainable Growth and Development” held on 15th March, 2018 in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
8. Uddin, M.A. & Saiti, B. Does finance promote sustainable growth? Re-examining the nexus in developing countries by applying dynamic system GMM. “1st International Conference on Finance for Sustainable Growth and Development” held on 15th March, 2018 in Chittagong, Bangladesh
9. Ullah, N. & Uddin, M.A. Will Financial Distress Lead to Banks Merger and Acquisition in Bangladesh? “1st International Conference on Finance for Sustainable Growth and Development” held on 15th March, 2018 in Chittagong, Bangladesh.
10. Uddin, M.A., Reemergence of Islamic Monetary Economics: A Review of Theory and Practice, Islamic Monetary Economics and Institutions: Theory and Practice 2017 workshop” held on 1st – 2nd November 2017 in Male, Maldives. (Fully sponsored by the IDB)
11. Uddin, M.A., Mobin, M.A., & Masih, M. Finance, Growth and Human Development: An Islamic Economic Development Perspective, The 6th Annual Conference of Economic Forum of Entrepreneurship & International Business. LMH, Oxford University, Oxford, United Kingdom 2017. (http://www.eco-ena.ca/Oxford3.html)
12. Uddin, M.A., Ali, M.H., & Masih, M. War and Peace: Why is political stability pivotal for economic growth of OIC countries, 18th Malaysian Finance Association Annual Conference (MFAC) 2016 and the 7th Islamic Banking, Accounting and Finance Conference (IBAF) 2016.* (Sponsored by the INCEIF)
13. Uddin, M.A., Ali, M.H., & Masih, M. Why are finance and human development important for economic growth in OIC countries? A Dynamic GMM Approach, 18th Malaysian Finance Association Annual Conference (MFAC) 2016 and the 7th Islamic Banking, Accounting and Finance Conference (IBAF) 2016.*
14. Уддин, Мд. А. Сравнительный анализ мотивационных особенностей учебной деятельности устудентов очного и дистанционного обучения / М. А. Уддин, Б. Б. Айсмонтас // Актуальные проблемы психологии, бизнеса и социальной сферы общества: теория и практика : Международный сборник научных трудов. VII выпуск. –Рига, 2013.
[Translation: Uddin, M.A. Comparative analysis of motivational attributes of students studying face-to-face and distance//Conference Proceedings of Actual Problems of Psychology, Business and Society: Theory and Practice, Riga, Latvia, 2013]
15. Uddin, M. A., & Aysmontas, B. B. Distance education in Russia: development and implementation of distance education program at the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education (MSUPE)// Психология образования в XXI веке: теория и практика. Волгоград, 2011. – С. 296–299.
[Translation: Uddin, M. A., & Aysmontas, B. B. Distance education in Russia: development and implementation of distance education program at the Moscow State University of Psychology and Education (MSUPE)// Psychology Education in the 21st Century: Theory and Practice. Volgagorod, 2011]
16. Айсмонтас, Б.Б. и Уддин, Мд. Актхер. Психологическое образование на основе дистанционных технологий: опыт, проблемы, перспективы // VIII Всероссийская научно-практическая конференция «Психология образования: модернизация психолого-педагогического образования». М., 2013. – С. 3–8.
[Translation: Aysmontas, B.B. and Uddin, M.A. Psychology education with the help of distance education technology: experience, problems and perspectives// VII Russian Scientific Conference Psychology Education: Modernization of Psychology Education, Moscow, 2013]